“It is up to us what we do with our future. It is up to us which Europe we want." Ursula von der Leyen
In her State of the Union address to the European Parliament on September 16, 2020, the President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen presented her vision for a Europe that emerges stronger from the pandemic and shows the way to a new vitality.
President Von Der Leyen’s message was that with the recovery package – Next Generation EU - Europe has the unique opportunity to bring about self-determined change. It has the vision, the plan, the investment to enable Europe to go green, digital and more resilient.
To reach this potential, the European Commission will focus on:
- Protection of life and livelihoods in Europe, the health of citizens, and the stability of the economy;
- Strengthening the basic building blocks of the European Green Deal and raising targets;
- Leading the digital transformation, especially in terms of data, technology and infrastructure;
- Getting the most out of the Single Market;
- Continue to mobilise the global response as the world waits for an accessible, affordable and safe vaccine against COVID-19;
- Respond more confidently to global events and deepen relationships with the EU's closest neighbours and global partners;
- Take a new approach to migration, remain vigilant about the rule of law and build a union where racism and discrimination have no place.
Read the full speech here https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/soteu_2020_multilingual.pdf